Monday 11 June 2012
UK CHARITY OFFERS HELP TO VICTIMS OF RECENT FLOODING IN WALES
For those in mid Wales who are already struggling due to the economic climate, the weekend floods could not have come at a worse time.
Elizabeth Finn Care, a UK direct grant-giving charity which helps people in financial hardship, is able to help people who are on low income or means tested benefits who have been severely affected by the weekend’s floods in Wales.
The recent floods damaged many homes and contents. For people who are already struggling to make ends meet, the cost to replace items such as a washing machine and a cooker will be expensive, if at all possible. Often the cost of replacing items after such an unexpected and traumatic event pushes people into the poverty cycle.
Pat Cripps, Elizabeth Finn Care’s National Officer for Wales, said:
"The weekend floods have come at a time when many families are already struggling to make ends meet. The stress of coping with cleaning up the mess and replacing furniture and belongings can be extremely hard for people to deal with.
Elizabeth Finn Care is here to provide help for ex-professionals on means tested benefits or low incomes. We can react quickly, and help to get people through those tough first stages of getting back on their feet."
If you or someone you know is living on a low income or means tested benefits, and needs help following the recent floods, please contact Elizabeth Finn Care through its Turn2us helpline 0808 802 2000 or visit www.elizabethfinn.org.uk
For further information, quotes and interviews please contact:
Notes to Editors:
About Elizabeth Finn Care
· Bryan Clover, Director of Elizabeth Finn Grants is available for interview. Please contact Maria Fsadni on 020 8834 9263.
· Elizabeth Finn Care is a national charity that helps people in financial need to improve their lives.
· Elizabeth Finn Care gives direct financial support to people from over 120 occupational backgrounds, and through Turn2us helps millions more people in the UK to access the money available to them through welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.
· Since being founded in 1897, Elizabeth Finn Care has given away over £130m in direct financial assistance to people in need. In 2009/2010 over 3,500 British and Irish citizens received grants totalling almost £4m from Elizabeth Finn Care.
· Elizabeth Finn Care is a charity registered in England and Wales: 207812 and Scotland: SC040987.
· Turn2us is part of the national charity Elizabeth Finn Care.
· Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.
· The Turn2us free, accessible website (www.turn2us.org.uk) is designed to help people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, charitable grants and other help.
· The website has a number of tools to make the process simpler, including a grants search, benefits calculator and ‘find an adviser’ tool to help locate someone to speak to.
· Turn2us works in partnership with organisations across the UK, including AdviceUK, Association of Charitable Organisations, Citizens Advice, Child Poverty Action Group, Home-Start UK and Money Advice Trust to develop our services and reach the many millions of people that need our help.